Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

The scenes From Our Roof-top

Our house had a roof top with a wall securing the periphery. Here, we were in our house and yet very much in touch of what was going on in the street below. We played on our roof-top-- my older sister, younger brother and me. When we got bored playing, we would just sit there, watch the people on the street, and keep a watch for the ‘Kulfi wala or Gol Guppay wala’.
Some of the street hawkers had bells under their ‘thelas’ (wooden cart). They attached a rope to the bell, the other end of which was tied to the handle of their thela. When they pulled on the rope, the bell produced a sound, which was music to our ears.  If we had money, we bought whatever it was that they were selling, unless it was specifically forbidden.
 Others used their strong voices to announce their presence.
‘Harey Harey Harey Karale- ley-ley’ shouted the ‘subzi wala’ in a booming voice seem to fill the air. And it worked. The busy house wives dropped everything and were at their doors with thelas or baskets to get their daily vegetables.
One day, my elder sister and I were playing ‘Phel Dooj’ (our version of Hop scotch) on our roof.
We used pieces of broken ‘mutka’ to aim and throw at the nine squares. It was my turn and I was on the square number 8. I aimed carefully and threw. To my dismay, my Geeti (piece of mutka) broke into two. One landing on the eighth square and the other falling out of the playing area. My sister was seven (two years older than me) and much better player of the game. Now I was ahead of her for the first time. This was my first real chance to beat her in Phel Dooj. Would you be surprised that a dispute arose? First it was ‘it is in’ vs. ‘no it is out’. Then came pushing and shoving. And finally she punched me and shoved me hard. I fell to the cemented floor. And there I stayed. It hurt and I tried desperately not to cry.
Finally with tears rolling down my cheeks I went down and complained to Ammi. She listened patiently. Then she wiped the tears off my face and gave me a hug and a kiss.  Then she said something that has stayed with me as a guiding principle. She said ‘You did the right thing by not hitting your sister back. ‘Boys do not hit girls’. I told her that this is not the reason I did not hit back. She is strong and I was afraid if I hit her she will hit me back a lot harder. May be if I drink a lot of milk and become strong, I will then hit her. She said ‘No, Nomi you promise me you will not hit a girl ever’. I asked her why. She said Nomi you are too young to understand why. Perhaps you will some day.
So far, in my 5 years my Ammi had always been right but on this occasion I had some doubts. However I was sitting in her lap which at 5 was a bit unusual for us and I knew she loved me.
Therefore, I promised her not to ever hit a girl. I did not know then how soon I would be tested on this promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment